Adam packing share boxes with broccoli and cabbage among last week’s harvest.
Harvest Newsletter, July 2012
Week 6 of 18
Farm News: Looks like we are in for a hot dry July. Last week Thursday we discovered an infestation of flea beetle on the green and lacinato kale which is why there was none in the extras box. We hope the bugs will flee from our site…we have read Neem oil may deter them, but for now we will be patient and see what happens.
This week’s harvest includes: Fennel (Florence), Cabbage (Farao – green or Red Express), New Potatoes (Red Norland), Green Beans (Provider), Summer squash (Success and Goldy) and Zucchini (Dunja and Partenon), Broccoli (Bay Meadows and Imperial), Cucumbers (Corinto and Tasty Jade…longer ones), Swiss Chard (Rainbow Improved), Basil (Genovese), Tomatoes (Big Beef, Trust, or Cobra), Carrots (Nelson) maybe for Thursday Eggplant (Falcon).
*Variations from the above list may happen due to unexpected issues on harvest days.
Reminders and Important Notices:
Important Delivery Logistics:
- Delivery at River Rock will be 4 PM instead of 3:30 PM, decided after harvest today. It seems that is easier for us to ensure prompt delivery.
- Thanks for your patience with the newsletter, Lupita remembered while harvesting that she forgot to send the weekly update last night.
- Please return the tops to the share boxes if you do take from the Farm or Mankato sites.
Share Box Logistics: Thanks for returning your empty share basket clean on delivery day.
Recipes and Tips
As mentioned last week Fennel is the fern like item in the box with a white bulb, smells and tastes like anise (black licorice). See below for a Tuna Salad we made based on ingredients we had in the fridge.
Tuna Salad with chopped fennel greens (approx. one bunch) and diced (red) cabbage (about ½ cup), a few spoonfuls of canola mayo, and garlic salt to taste. This tuna salad makes a great cold or toasted sandwich and is very easy to make on a hot steamy day. Optional add shredded carrots.
For visuals if something is unfamiliar in your share box/harvest newsletter check out:
• www.highmowingseeds.com (the column on the left side of the website provides a list of vegetables, etc)
• www.johnnyseeds.com (Product Index)
• www.seedsavers.org (scroll to the bottom, and click on Helpful Links)
Events: Open House at Living Land Farm Saturday, July 21st from 11-2PM with a guided tour at 1 PM. Rain or shine, dress accordingly. We hope to see you there!
Remember to return your box clean and exchange it for the full share box. Thanks in advance!
Happy eating! ~ Lupita, Adam, and Adán