Always something to see at the farm! Bigger than a cabbage moon. 7.2.12
Harvest Newsletter, October 2012
Week 17 of 18
Farm News: Saturday, October 13th 12-3PM is the Fall Potluck and pick your own pumpkin, we hope to see many of you. Family and friends are welcome to the potluck too.
This week’s harvest includes: Winter squash (variety to be decided), sweet potatoes (beauregard or white yam), Carrots (Yaya), Tomatoes (various varieties from the field), red peppers, green peppers (lipstick and Ace), and hot peppers (Jalapeño and Hot Wax), kale (green and lacinato), arugula (surrey greens) or spinach, onions (red and yellow), leeks (Pandora and tandorna), and turnips (purple top white globe). Variations from the above list may happen.
Reminders and Important Notices:
- Be sure to return your share boxes for the 2012 season. If possible, please clean them before returning them.
- Call us with CSA questions/issues you may have (507) 720-5364.
- Remember to fill out the enclosed survey, (clear tape sides) and mail to us, as it is pre-stamped.
Recipes and Tips
- Try using carrots in a Carrot Ginger Soup.
- Make sweet potatoes fries. Yum!
- Boil cubed turnips and mashed as you would with regular potatoes, seasoned with garlic, salt and butter, garnished with thinly sliced lacinato kale.
- Arugula is a great substitute for lettuce in wraps or sandwiches.
For visuals if something is unfamiliar in your share box/harvest newsletter check out:
• www.highmowingseeds.com (the column on the left side of the website provides a list of vegetables, etc)
• www.johnnyseeds.com (Product Index)
• www.seedsavers.org (scroll to the bottom, and click on Helpful Links)
Remember to return your box clean and exchange it for the full share box. Thanks in advance!
Happy eating! ~ Lupita, Adam, and Adán