Harvest Newsletter, October 2012
Week 18 of 18
Farm News: Saturday, October 13th 12-3PM is the Fall Potluck and pick your own pumpkin, we hope to see many of you. Family and friends are welcome to the potluck too.
This week’s harvest includes: Winter squash (variety to be decided), sweet potatoes (beauregard or white yam), Carrots (Yaya or Bolero), red peppers, green peppers (lipstick and Ace), kale (green and lacinato), greens……either arugula, spinach or salad mix, onions (red and yellow), leeks (Pandora and tandorna), and turnips (purple top white globe) and beets. *Variations from the above list may happen.
Reminders and Important Notices:
- Be sure to return your share boxes for the 2012 season, if possible clean.
- Call us with CSA questions/issues you may have (507) 720-5364.
- Remember to fill out the enclosed survey, (clear tape sides) and mail to us, as it is pre-stamped.
Recipes and Tips
- Baked squash is an excellent substitute for pumpkin puree in bread, pie or custard recipes. As well as with polenta or in a lasagna.
- Crockpot candied sweet potatoes seasoned with butter, and cinnamon is a favorite of ours.
- Turnips can last refrigerated about 1-2 months in a plastic bag, with tops removed.
Lemony Turnips and Kale from Eat More Vegetables
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups turnip, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 cups kale stems removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add turnips and cook 10 minutes, stirring; they’ll brown a little, but mostly they should turn translucent and soft. Stir in kale, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes. Serves 4.
For visuals if something is unfamiliar in your share box/harvest newsletter check out:
• www.highmowingseeds.com (the column on the left side of the website provides a list of vegetables, etc)
• www.johnnyseeds.com (Product Index)
• www.seedsavers.org (scroll to the bottom, and click on Helpful Links)
Remember to return your box clean and exchange it for the full share box. Thanks in advance!
Happy eating! ~ Lupita, Adam, and Adán